Monday, April 16, 2012

Healthy Lifestyle.




April 2011
Weight: 180



April 2011, Ford Island Bridge Run, 10k


I remember it like it was yesterday.  Previous to the run, I could run up to 2 miles. But a 10k?  Was I ready for that?  6 miles.  That was over my head.

But, I finished it.  I ran about 80% of it, roughly.  I remember looking at the big timer at the end.. 1:25:08.  Wow, that was a long time!  But I did it, with the help of David's coaching and support.  I just remember wondering why I wasn't sweating anymore.  I felt like I had salt coming from my pores!

And then...


Then came another challenge.  I attended a personal growth retreat which challenged you to face obstacles.  Heights?  NO WAY.  But I attempted it and only made it halfway.  I didn't feel like my muscles could handle much more.  Sure, I was proud, but I was also disappointed because I wanted to say I made it to the top!

A few months later.....


Here I was again.... staring up at this beast...



Annnd... I MADE IT!  I thought climbing it was hard.... letting go to let someone dangle me down from a rope was pretty frightening.


Months went on, and I continued to exercise, enough.  But then David brought up a new challenge.  Train to run a half marathon.  HA!  That was my exact response.

After many, many weeks of training, it came to the day I attempted my 13 mile run.  Just me, my music and a pedestrian trail through Pearl City.  It was a long, scary, and challenging 2.5 hours.  On the last mile, something hit me.  Yep, I had an asthma attack, which might have been partially mental.  After collapsing into David's truck, a good cry and a big glass of chocolate milk... I realized I had accomplished more than I ever thought I could.   I have ran differently, in a positive way, ever since.



Another challenge??  Yep.  I laughed inside each time I ran past "boot camp" that went on down the road from my house.  I knew I would never even consider it.  I mean what was I missing out on?  I ran up to 6 miles almost everyday each week!  SIKE!  My friend inspired me to try it out.  Challenge accepted!

I am now on my last week (week 4) of my first boot camp session.  Each class is very challenging and very different from any of the previous classes.  The instructor, Christina, is amazing at what she does.  I am not going to lie, she is very intimidating.  But I need someone to tell me I CAN AND WILL do it!  Christina certainly pushes you to do that and MORE. One of my favorite quotes of many from her is, "If you think you cant, you cant.  If you think you can, you can."  I think I can.  And I think I will continue.

April 2012
Weight: 150

I still run 6 miles (1 hour), up to twice a week.  I am more motivated to want to try more and continue doing more.  No, I don't always want to.  I eat smart and I hydrate everyday.  I bought my first pair of size 6 jeans this year and I still eat my occasional pieces of candy, and chocolate.  I look back on the last year and a half and try to remember why I started all this.  I didn't do it because I thought I needed to lose weight (but boy did I).  I did it simply to feel my heart pump again.  I did it to feel like i was doing something with my time and my health.  I did it to relieve stress.  The little weight I have lost (mostly inches) and the strength that I have come to realize I needed has all been a bonus to what it is all really about.  A Healthy Lifestyle.  I want something I can stick to, something I believe in.  I believe in being healthy AND happy.  Trust me, you can be both.  My point to all this?  Never quit challenging yourself.  

This is only the beginning to my story.  I would love to one day instruct a class of my own, but the thought terrifies me.  Maybe one day I can blog about that.  Until then, I will continue to face new challenges, even if it does terrify me.  That is where I find my greatest strengths.

I hope this can be an inspiration to you.  These are just a few of the challenges I have faced this year physically.  These events were the most challenging.  Just remember, if I can do something like this, you can too.  If you think you cant, then you cant.  But I know you can, so you can.  <3

1 comment:

  1. You look amazing Ash..and this is truly a motivating post to read! Keep it up..

    I think I'm going to read this multiple times to try to motivate myself!
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete